Many people when they wake up in morning observe bags under their eyes. Puffiness under the eyes is actually mild to moderate swelling caused due to wide variety of reasons. People most often think it as a cosmetic concern although it may also be due to medical causes. Puffiness under eyes in itself may not be a cause of worry, but may sometimes be a symptom of an underlying health related issue.
The basic pathophysiology for swelling under the eyes is linked with gravity, change in the biological structure or due to fat. Often the swelling subsides few hours after waking up, but sometimes the swelling persists for a long time. If you are having puffiness for a long period, there are several medical treatments as well as home remedies to deal with it.
Causes Of Bags Under Eyes In The Morning
There are several causes of swelling under eyes when you get up in the morning.
- Sleepless nights can cause swelling under the eyes when you get up in the morning. A person needs at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night. A good night sleep helps to function better during the day. Improper sleep can increase the inflammatory process in the body. If you do not have enough sleep at night, the blood vessels under the eyes will become inflamed and dilated. They will become more prominent under the eyes leading to baggy eyes.
- Aging is another important cause for baggy swelling under the eyes. As the person ages, the tissues and skin under the eyes lose elasticity and start sagging. Sometimes the fat that is supporting eyes comes down. It can get deposited in the lower eyelid leading to puffy eyes.
- Too much consumption of salt can retain fluid in the body. This may lead to puffy eyes in the morning.
- Alcohol consumption especially on the previous night may make the eye appear puffy the next morning. Alcohol dehydrates the skin and the skin becomes thin. Presence of blood vessels and fluid below the skin makes it appear swollen.
- For some people, under eye bags are inherited facial features. It is present in the genes.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Bags Under Eyes
Bags or swelling under eyes is not a serious condition. It is mostly caused due to underlying reasons that may or not be too serious. Lifestyle factors and aging are two important causes. You cannot change your age but certainly living unhealthy lifestyle can be altered. There are home remedies as well as conventional means to get rid of the unsightly under eye bags.
- Wash your eyes with cold water when you wake up. Cold water will help the circulation moving as well as the fluid that is trapped will start circulating. Hence after few minutes or hours the swelling subsides.
- Tap your upper and lower eyelids mildly. This will help to disperse collected fluid under the eyes.
- Avoid drinking alcohol at night. Avoid too much of tea and coffee.
- Sleep at least for 7 hours. It provides enough rest to the eyes. Avoid sleeping face down as position of face can increase gravity.
- Massage the area with vitamin E oil. It will help to drain the accumulated fluid that is surrounded under the eyes.
- Place cucumber slice over the eye for 15 to 20 minutes daily. This will help to reduce stress on eyes and keep the skin surrounding the eyes more stretchy.
- Avoid eating too much salty food as it retains fluid in the body. The amount of salt is high in processed foods.
Medical treatment consists of tightening of skin so that the under eye bags will disappear. Laser resurfacing and chemical peels are two therapies that can be used. The other alternative is plastic surgery which is also called blepharoplasty. It is the procedure in which the fat that is displaced in creating the bags is replaced and re-positioned.