With growing knowledge about coronary artery disease, most people have rough idea about good and bad fats present in the diet. Trans fat is produced in industry so to say it is man made fat where liquid vegetable oils is turned into solid fat. It is done through the process of hydrogenation. Trans fats are extremely bad for health, especially for the heart and arteries.
Today trans fats are used in wide range of food products, especially fast foods, biscuits, cakes, potato products and certain snack foods. The primary reason for using trans fats is that it increases shelf life of the food product and maintains it taste and flavor for longer period. Trans fat is also present in small amount naturally in the intestine of animals.Thus food prepared from animal products also contain small amount of trans fat.
Trans fats raises LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) in the body and at the same time lowers HDL (good cholesterol). Thus consuming trans fats increases the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Foods High In Trans Fat
Trans fats actually have no nutritional value and in fact body does not need it. Trans fats are found in many processed foods. It is commonly used in fast foods and takeaways. It is present in deeply fried foods such as doughnuts. High amount of trans fat is also found in pancakes and pie, margarine, crackers, frozen pizza, biscuits and pastries. Butter flavor popcorn and creamy frozen drinks also consist trans fats. It is mostly used in packaged foods.
A small amount of trans fat is also present in its natural form in animal products such as milk, meat, beef, lamb. However, there is no sufficient scientific conclusion of whether these naturally occurring trans fats have same bad effects as trans fat prepared in industry.
How To Get Rid Of Trans Fat In Your Body?
Detoxification and cleansing are the two best measures to eliminate trans fats out from your body. Few steps will help in this process:
- Firm determination plays an important role if you want to detoxify. Once you start the program you have to at least follow it for three weeks. In fact keep a diary of what you eat as this will be a daily reminder for the cleansing program.
- Changing your dietary pattern is extremely important to flush out trans fats from your body. Emphasize on eating fruits and vegetables, cereals, and whole grains. All contain fibers which help in binding fats and remove them out of the body.
- Drink carrot juice and vegetable juices daily. These juices contain enzymes which help the body to flush out trans fats from the system.
- Insist on eating food that is grown organically. Eat boiled and raw vegetables. Avoid using oils in food preparation for at least few days while you are on detoxification program. Boil kale and collards, eat walnuts and almonds.
- Avoid eating fast food in restaurants and cafeteria. Eat only food that is prepared at home.
- Drink enough water daily.