Since early civilization, mankind used to eat meat as their staple diet. Red meat is the meat which comes from cows, buffaloes, lamb, swine, deer etc. Red meat also includes meat that is derived from large birds which do not fly such as ostrich and emu. In recent years many people have stopped or reduced eating red meat. This is because few studies have claimed that consuming red meat has direct detrimental impact on the health.However, there are contrary views from some corners as in their view red meat is being consumed since evolution and people in those days were still maintaining good health.
The point to be considered now is the meat that is available today is quite different from the meat that was eaten by people few centuries ago. During that period, cattle used to eat grass and various edible plants.However, the meat that is derived today is from cow and buffalo that are raised in stables and fed with grains. They also receive several types of hormones and antibiotics.
Red meat is also processed after the animal is slaughtered. It is smoked, treated with chemicals and preservatives. All this perspective is to be looked upon before we consider red meat to be bad or good for health. Yes there are some good attributing factors too about red meat that a person should not disregard. Hence let us know the pros and cons of eating red meat.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Red Meat?
- Red meat is packed with some of the beneficial nutrients. It is loaded with iron and zinc, vitamin A and some amount of vitamin D. All these ingredients present in red meat help to boost the immune system of the body. It is helpful in great way to fight infections such as cold, fatigue and helps in reducing iron deficiency anemia.
- According to some studies eating red meat of cattle fed on grass have reduced episodes of anxiety and depression. This may be linked to the higher content of omega 3 fatty acids present in grass fed animals.
- Red meat also contains high amount of protein. The protein present in red meat is beneficial in building muscle mass. Red meat contains all the 8 essential amino acids that are needed by the body for its healthy growth.
- Lean red meat is the best natural source of B vitamins. It contains enough amounts of vitamins B12 that is needed for the daily requirement of the body. Vitamin B12 is essential for a healthy nervous system and vitamin B6 is effective in building strong immune system.
Disadvantages Of Eating Red Meat
- Red meat contains a substance called carnitine which is known to cause blockages in the blood vessels from collection of cholesterol. It can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- According to some studies eating red meat especially processed red meat is known to have a link in cancer formation.
- Eating meat increases the risk of diabetes type 2. It also increases the risk of obesity.
- Meat contains abundant amount of iron. Although iron is beneficial in lowering iron deficiency anemia, eating too much of meat can overload a person with iron which may finally accumulate in brain. Thus it may increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Knowing all the pros and cons of red meat, finally the take home message is that red meat should be eaten in moderation for its plenty of benefits. Eating in moderation can also reduce the risk factors that are known to be with eating red meat.