Human brain is incredible and a complex organ in the body. It has limitless potential in doing various tasks. This intricate and delicate structure is a key in taking complicated decisions, and in some situations even repair and heal itself from the damage caused due to external or internal injuries.
Brain damage results when the brain cells are destroyed or they get degenerated.Damage to the brain can occur due to two reasons. It can be a traumatic injury to the brain occurring from outside force (blow to the skull from accident etc) or degeneration caused due to internal reasons such as brain disease and excessive pressure, for example tumor, stroke etc. In both cases, the brain function is hampered.
There are millions of people all over the world who suffer from brain injury and many of them succumb to it or live an unproductive life with mental or physical disabilities.To an extent human brain has ability to reverse the damage by itself. Eating food and nutritious diet together with medications and medical care can help to enhance the healing process. It also helps in managing various symptoms that develop due to brain damage.
Signs And Symptoms Of Brain Damage
The main food for brain cells is oxygen and glucose, which it receives from the circulating blood. The brain gets damaged when the brain cells do not get sufficient supply of oxygen. It occurs when the blood flow is cut off or becomes less. The symptoms of brain damage are perceptible and they can manifest themselves as impairment in cognitive, physical and behavioral activities.
Cognitive function impairment:
- Loss of memory
- Less attentive
- Unable to express thoughts.
- Unable to decide on subjects.
- Person is unable to find words to express.
- He finds difficulty in finding words.
Physical function impairment:
- Spasm of muscles
- Physical weakness
- Slurred speech
- Awkwardness in controlling movement.
- Focal and generalized seizures.
- Tremors in hands and legs.
Impairment in emotional functions:
- Patient becomes impatient and irritable.
- Gets stressed on minor subjects.
- Exhibits extremes of emotions.
- Becomes aggressive on minor controversies.
- Confusion and frustration.
Foods That Reverse Brain Damage Naturally
Foods and diet may not be able to cure brain damage on their own, but they play a vital role in enhancing the healing process of damaged brain. It acts in conjunction with main line medical treatment
Certain foods help to boost the healing of damaged brain cells, if they are not completely dead.
- Fruits: Fruits contain vitamin C. This vitamin has proved beneficial for its antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are substances which attack free radicals which are harmful for the body. Free radicals are cause of many internal brain problems. Eat fruits such as oranges, berries, kiwi fruit, grapes, raisins, figs, peaches etc.
- Vegetables: Vegetables contain beta-carotene and other vitamins which are brain friendly. They act upon free radicals that damage brain cells. In certain cases these fruits and vegetables are useful and may help to reverse memory loss. Eat vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, turnips, bell pepper, tomatoes, squash etc.
- Nuts: Nuts and seeds such as almond, walnut, pistachios, sunflower seeds, contain vitamin E. Vitamin E is plays a vital role in facilitating oxygen supply to the damaged brain cells. Oxidative stress is often a problem in brain cells injury.
- Fish: Fish which contain high amount of omega 3 fatty acids are salmon, halibut, mackerel. Omega 3 fatty acids are healthy fats that aid in accelerating brain function. It aids in reversing the function of damaged brain by reducing inflammation in the brain cells.
Aside from the food and diet modifications, patient may require long term measures to reverse the brain cell damage. Physical therapy helps in strengthening the weak muscles. Speech therapy may aid in patients having slurred speech.
Regular exercise increases blood circulation in the brain. Thus more oxygen which boosts healing of damaged brain cells.