Summer is the hottest season of the year. For people living in northern latitude it is the time for fun and frolic. The days are bright and long. Most people enjoy the beauty of nature. Some visit beaches and parks to unwind while some enjoy the scenic green grasses and blooming flowers.
However, for people living in tropical climate it may not bring great enthusiasm, as the high level of heat may bring lot of discomfort and sweating, besides heat strokes and summer boils. People get easily tired due to scorching heat and perspiration.Summer heat usually lowers your hunger as the body does not need much energy to keep it warm.
People usually prefer to eat light meals; they thus look for fruits and vegetables, cool summer soups and salads. Nature has stored in its basket sizzling fresh fruits and vegetables for mankind that are densely packed with nutrition. It will be a great advantage for your health feasting on this power summer foods.
Healthy Foods To Eat In Summer Season
- Watermelon: During summer the risk of dehydration is more than other seasons. It is because of the heat and sweating. Watermelon has high component of water. At least 92 percent weight of watermelon is due to its water content. Eating watermelon during summer is thus hydrating and refreshing. Watermelon grows best in summer. It is a rich source of vitamin C and A, lycopene and potassium. Depletion of potassium through sweating is common cause for muscle cramps in summer. Eating watermelon is surest way to replenish electrolyte and acid base balance in the body during summer.
- Cucumber: Cool cucumber is a great source of fluid and minerals. At the same time it is low in calorie. Eating cucumber during summer is beneficial for gastrointestinal tract. It has mild antibacterial properties. It thus wards of germs that are known to cause stomach flu and other problems such as diarrhea and vomiting. It is protective to the skin as it replenishes moisture which is much needed to nourish the skin during summer.
- Green salad: Summer is the best time to eat green salad. The ingredients in it are usually grown fresh during this period of year. Different salads consisting spinach, colored peppers, bitter green etc are valuable source of nutrition as you eat light meal.
- Eggplant: Eggplant is a versatile vegetable with creamy texture providing most of its nutritional contents that are needed for summer season. It is good source of antioxidants, fluid, and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. Eggplant can be eaten as a main dish or it can be a part of salad content.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes usually are available throughout the year. It is a great source of water and antioxidants. People suffering from diarrhea and vomiting usually opt for tomato soup for its appetizing taste and flavor. They are rich source of vitamin C and A. Both play vital role in boosting immunity against germs which cause common problems such as diarrhea during summer.
- Lime juice and lime: During summer urinary tract problems are common occurrence. Drinking one or two glasses of lemon juice is a healthy drink for flushing out bacteria from the urinary tract. It is a mild diuretic and detoxifying agent. Extract lemon juice from one or two lemons. Add the content in water. Drink this nourishing liquid with added ingredients of your choice. Also lemon juice with some sugar and salt is a natural electrolyte which replenishes lost salt and water from the body.
- Muskmelon: Muskmelon should be part of summer diet. Its high water content helps to stay hydrated. It is also good for the digestive system. As it is a great source of potassium, vitamin C, folic acid and vitamin A. It also reduces vomiting sensation.
- Yogurt and buttermilk: Yogurt and butter milk are soothing for stomach. Both are beneficial during hot summer as they contain healthy bacteria which help in sluggish digestion during summer months. Besides buttermilk provides the most needed water for replenishing the lost fluid due to perspiration.