A balanced diet is essential for maintaining well being and health of a person. It provides the required amount of vitamins, minerals and macro-nutrients that are vital for growth and maintenance of healthy cells and tissues. Eating a balanced diet is also important for protecting the body from diseases and infections. An ideal balanced diet consists of substances such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, fiber and water all in correct amount.
The quantity may vary from one person to another and depends on the metabolic rate as well as the activity of the individual. A well balanced diet includes various types of food such as vegetables, fruits, cereals and legumes, lean meat, fish, dairy products, unsaturated fats. Processed and refined food items are not included as they are known to sabotage human health.
Health Benefits Of Eating A Balanced Diet
The food that we eat gets digested in the gastrointestinal tract. Various elements from the food after digestion are absorbed into the blood and passed to the cells and tissues of the body. Thus if your food has balanced amount of macro and micro nutrients, your body will not suffer nutritional deficiency. However, without a balanced diet the body can be susceptible to various diseases, fatigue etc. Here are important benefits of eating a balanced diet.
- Strengthens immunity: The immune system protects the body from various bacteria, fungus and other microorganisms. People who are malnourished are more vulnerable to various diseases and infection. If your diet is balanced with enough amounts of vitamins and minerals as well as other essential nutrients, your immune system remains strong. Having a stronger immune system means you have less risk of suffering from infection.
- Energy production: One of the benefits of eating a balanced diet is that it provides sustained energy for a long period. Eating right proportion and type of food can keep your body fueled throughout the day. The carbohydrates present in vegetables, grains and cereals, fruits digest slowly. As a result the glucose and insulin level remains sustained and steady for a longer duration. Protein also provides energy, so include lean meat, fish, eggs, and poultry in your diet.
- Reduces risk of diseases: A balanced diet consists of vital vitamins and minerals. They contains antioxidants which are known protect the cells from harmful free radicals. Including vegetables, nuts, beans and fruits in diet ensures reduction of cholesterol in the blood. However, change in lifestyle and exercise is also important. Presence of antioxidants also reduces the risk of cancer.
- Weight control: Balanced diet contains large range of foods. These types of foods help to keep the weight under control. Diet which contains variety of foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, a small portion of unsaturated fats, dairy products and small amount of meat keeps very less space for unhealthy and processed foods which are known to increase weight. Balanced diet is devoid of vast foods which typically contain plenty of saturated fat and sugar. Both these components are known to increase weight.
- Useful for brain health: A well balanced diet contains nuts and fish among variety of other foods. Both these foods are densely packed with omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 actually is considered to be a brain tonic. It helps to elevate your mood hence improves people suffering from anxiety and depression. Vitamin A, E and omega 3 present in diet essentially help the brain to function well.