Rashes are common occurrence among children. Skin irritation, itching, redness, scaling and dryness are some prominent symptoms of any type of rash. Skin rash may develop in the form of tiny bumps or blisters in certain parts of body or the entire body area.
Most type of rashes in a child’s body are benign and it may disappear on their own. Some rash may need treatment to alleviate discomforting symptoms such as itching and burning.
Rashes caused by viral infection do not harm the child and go away without any specific treatment. However, certain rashes during childhood can have serious consequences. Therefore any type of rash on child’s body needs immediate medical attention.
What Can Cause A Rash All Over A Child’s Body?
Rash can develop due to many things on the entire body of the child. It can be caused by skin contact with an irritant, reaction to drug, or in many cases due to infection or allergy.
- Viral infection during childhood is common. Skin rash is common symptom of virus diseases such as measles and chickenpox. In case of measles, the rash appears first on forehead, behind the ears and then spreads from head to trunk and the entire body within 48 hours. There is mild itching and burning sensation. The rash is red or reddish brown in color which fades within 3 to 4 days after its appearance. There is no specific treatment for measles. Chickenpox is another viral disease during childhood that can cause rash on entire body area. It begins as flat bumps on abdomen, back and face. The bumps get filled with fluid and later on forms crusts after it dries. German measles is also responsible for rash on entire body. The appearance of rash is same as that of measles, but it is mild and vanishes within one or two days.
- Prickly heat also known as miliaria, covers entire body. This type of rash occurs during summer season. It occurs due to obstruction of sweat glands. Usually the areas affected are face, neck, back, and chest however many children may suffer from prickly heat all over the body. The disease although is harmless, can be extremely disturbing due to severe itching and burning sensation.
- Allergic reaction can cause rashes on the entire body surface. The skin of a child is delicate and sensitive. It can occur due to contact with certain substances or allergens such as detergents, chemicals, etc. Skin allergy can also occur as a result of insect bite. The entire body becomes red and itchy. Touching poison ivy can also cause contact allergic dermatitis.
- Scarlet fever is a contagious infection caused by streptococcus bacteria. It can occur in children from 2 to 10 years of age. The condition causes distinctive red rash all over the body with a feel of sandpaper when touched. Skin rash appears after fever and sore throat. Rash appears on chest and stomach before it spreads to other areas of body such as ear and neck.
- Urticaria which is also called as hives or welts can spread all over the body. The rash in case of urticaria is extremely itchy and raised. Children often suffer from this skin reaction. Urticaria can occur when certain trigger causes level of histamine to rise in the body. Histamines act upon the blood vessels near the skin surface and dilate them. This leads to redness, warmth, swelling, and itching. The possible triggers in children can be medicines, severe external heat, exercise, contact with latex and irritants etc.