Skin allergy is very common allergic condition in children. It can develop in any child, but it is more common among children who often suffer from asthma, hay fever etc. Itching and rash is most prominent symptom of skin allergy. Allergy primarily occurs due to an immune response in the body. It develops when your immune system behaves abnormally to a substance which for a normal person is harmless.
Skin allergy in children is triggered due to many reasons. It can be from the food eaten by the baby or something that touches the skin surface or from the particles such as pollen from the air. Dry skin, itching and red raised bumps are classical features of skin allergy.
Skin allergy in babies can be treated with home remedies, although conventional medicines such as anti histamines are also equally effective.Home remedies have least side effects.
Skin Allergy Symptoms In Babies
Skin allergy in children can precipitate itself in many different forms. It can manifest as eczema on the skin which remains for many days, or swelling and hives on skin. The symptoms of skin allergy in children can occur as:
- Rashes on the body.
- Itching in sporadic area or all over the body.
- Dryness on the skin.
- Hives on skin. Hives appear as raised red patches on the skin. There are no scales or the skin over the hives is not dry.
- Intense scratching causes abrasions and sometime bleeding from the skin.
- Thick patches on the skin with scales.
- Formation of blisters usually filled with fluid. However, if there is an infection blisters may be filled with pus.
- Thin watery discharge from the skin or thick discharge of pus.
Home Remedies For Skin Allergies In Children
Skin allergy in children can develop due to many different reasons. It can occur from the food that he eats, contact with mold and dander, and even through pollen in the air. Skin is vulnerable to exposure to several chemicals and dyes used in various materials and substances. Contact with such substances can be one of the causes of allergy in children. Even simple bug bite can produce allergic symptoms on skin.
Most forms of skin allergy in children can be treated with home remedies. However, in some severe cases antihistamine medicines may be required.
- Often skin allergy goes hand in hand with dry skin. Use of moisturizer is essential if the child’s skin is dry. Coconut oil is one of the best natural moisturizer for delicate skin of children. Apply it daily when you feel his skin has become dry.
- Aloe vera gel is soothing for the skin of children, especially in children. Apply the gel over the affected area of skin. It helps in decreasing inflammation as well as itching.
- Cold application is also beneficial in some cases. Wet a towel with cold water or cold milk. Place it over raised skin patches of hives. It helps to reduce itching as well as swelling.
- Calendula lotion is also beneficial in allaying the symptoms of skin allergy. Apply it liberally on the affected part.
- Baking soda is another important home remedy for treating symptoms of skin allergy. Mix baking soda with water to form a paste. Apply the paste on affected region. It helps to soothe the skin.
If skin allergy is severe, you have to take the child to a dermatologist. Prevent the child from touching substances which has produced allergy.