Eating delicious and mouth watering food with friends and family members is most enjoyable moment in life. However, for people who are allergic to certain foods, it is not so. Food allergy is quiet common and according to an estimate at least 10 million Americans are known to suffer from various types of food allergy. In children it is more common than adults.
A person is said to have food allergy when his immune system behaves abnormally after eating certain food that his body is allergic to. It can cause various symptoms involving skin, gastrointestinal tract, and respiratory tract. There are varieties of foods that are known to be allergen. But among them these foods are more likely to cause allergy and they are egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts, cow’s milk, wheat, soy, nuts, chocolate, pineapple.
Eliminating the food that you are allergic to is the best medicine. However, if you suffer from an allergy than you should take prompt treatment by consulting your physician.
Most Common Foods That Cause Allergic Reactions
- Milk allergy: Allergy to cow’s milk is more common in children. Actually reaction occurs due to casein and whey present in cow’s milk. Children who are having milk allergy are known to have allergy to other foods such as eggs, soy, and peanuts. They are also more prone to asthma, and eczema.
- Egg allergy: Egg allergy is common in children, but in most cases it resolves after few years. But sometime it can remain throughout life. Protein present in egg yolk or white may be the cause of allergy.
- Peanut allergy: Peanut allergy can be present since childhood. Once developed the child may not out grow the allergy. Eating or even contact with peanut can produce serious stomach, respiratory and skin symptoms.
- Wheat allergy: Wheat allergy often leads to gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramps, diarrhea, vomiting etc. In people susceptible to wheat allergy, the body’s immune system reacts abnormally to gluten a type of protein present in wheat.
- Shellfish: Many people are allergic to lobster, crabs, and shrimps. It produces itching, watering from eyes, throat pain, breathlessness, cough, skin rash after eating shellfish.
- Fish allergy: Certain people are allergic to protein present in fish. After eating or coming in contact with fish they may experience itching, diarrhea, abdominal cramps and distress in breathing.
- Soy allergy: It can cause itching and tingling in mouth, hives on skin, swelling on lips and below the eyes, runny nose, wheezing, and trouble in breathing.
- Walnut and cashew nut: These tree nuts are also known allergic foods. After eating them patient may suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms, running nose, itching in eyes, swelling on face and throat and hives on skin.
- Pineapple allergy: Enzymes present in pineapple are responsible for symptoms of allergy in certain susceptible people. It causes itching, throat pain, hives on skin, skin itching, cramps in abdomen etc.
How Long Do Food Allergy Symptoms Last?
The symptoms of food allergy can be mild or severe depending on the sensitivity of a person. Patient sometimes is able to bear mild symptoms without any medicines. They may last for few hours or one or two days. Many children outgrow food allergy as they grow older.
There are many food allergies that remain lifetime once a person becomes allergic to it. For example, a person having allergy to eggs can last for long duration. Therefore these people have to avoid such foods for lifetime to prevent food allergy.